Saturday, October 4, 2008

It's just a game... it's just a game...

That's what I keep repeating to myself. If you're not a Cubs fan, you just can't possibly understand. If you are, well, I don't have to tell you how it feels. Time has stopped and you're in a fog. The pit in your stomach. Nausea. Diarrhea. Tightness in your chest (hello, there's a goat sitting on it). You don't want to even think about this happening (again), and yet it's all you can think about. How can this be happening (again)? Sorry-stinking-ano. Dempster, are you kidding me? He was lights out at Wrigley. Why in the name of Ron Santo is Fukudome batting with runners at first and third with two outs? Is Sweet Lou out of his mind? Or worse, part of some sinister plot? If only DeRosa could have... or DLee didn't... or Rami...
Arrrrrrgh!

Still, I'm hopeful. I feel better than I did after Thursday's train wreck. We can do this. All we need is to win the game tonight and then do it again tomorrow. This abysmal play can't continue, we had the best record in the NL for Pete's sake. The Dodgers aren't this good. It's not so bad, teams down 0 - 2 have come back before (13% of the time). Thirteen's my lucky number. We're not out of it yet. Remember, THIS is the year. I hope we get the Red Sox in the World Series, that's who I want to beat for the Championship. That will be sweet, Caroline.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

I love you...you're slightly maso with your eternal hope...but I do love you. I bought Pepto and Tums. I'm not even touching sinister plot....Stinking Organized Sports. Just think, even Harry feels worse than you and he's dead and so has an eternal perspective...what's another 100 years in the eternal scheme...but both of you should polish your glasses because NEXT YEAR'S THE YEAR!

Smooches,
Wenis

Aspen Skye said...

Oh papa.....(sigh).....well, we'll get em next year! ;'(

Charmaine said...

For you I feel bad, as I truely know what it feels like to have your guts ripped out of your body and not even care! All you care about is your favorite sports team out there and The Lord knows they deserve the win, but then.....
I remember watching the Jazz with you so many years ago when they had the best dang players there ever were. (Not counting Jordan who could take on any team in the NBA, sick, dying or whatever, he could win the game all by himself!) We had good ole "traitor" Karl Malone, John Stockton, Horney,( I don't know how to spell his last name, sorry) And many more. They never saw the championship! Now that's not fair. You were as involved with them and me too, I finally quit watching, have you? I tell you, life would be easier on your gut and Sandy wouldn't have to remember to stock the medicine chest with all those drugs to make you feel better.
I really am sorry. You know I love ya babe.


Under the Lights